Story: Princeton’s first baby of 2013 arrives

 Cindy Kok was going to close out 2012 more prepared to deliver a baby than she was four years ago when her last child was born.

But the thing is, little Bailey Kok wasn’t as prepared to enter the world as his parents Keith and Cindy might have hoped.

You see, four years ago Cindy Kok never made it to the hospital when she went into labor with daughter Isabella. She gave birth to the baby girl in the cab of the pickup with her three children in the back seat.

But there was no such drama in 2012, at Fairview Northland Medical Center in Princeton.

“My doctor had us come in at 7 a.m. on New Year’s Eve because the last one came in the truck on my driveway,” Kok said.

Soon afterwards, the doctor induced labor.

Bailey, however, showed early on that he would be nothing like Cindy Kok’s other children.

It didn’t matter that the medical team had induced labor. There was going to be none of that “quick labor” stuff on New Year’s Eve.

“This one was hanging on, even though they thought it would come quick,” Kok said.

As a matter of fact, Bailey wasn’t born until 12:56 a.m. on New Year’s Day – about 18 hours after Cindy and Keith first arrived at the Princeton hospital.

At 8 pounds, 14 ounces, Bailey was the first baby born in Princeton in 2013, and the earliest arrival of a New Year’s baby in Princeton in a number of years, said Jennifer Cottew, public relations manager for the hospital.

Bailey’s four siblings – Taylor, Kaytelynn, Alayna and Isabella – were at home and ready to ring in the new year with a new baby brother.

“They were at home with a close family friend. They were anxiously waiting and were calling every hour,” Kok said.

The children were still awake shortly before 1 a.m. when Bailey was born.

“They were up waiting. When the call came that Bailey had been born, they were up watching movies,” she said.

After delivering Bailey so early on January 1, she was tired of the hospital routine by early evening.

“I only stayed until 7 p.m.,” Kok said.

“I was so motivated. I just wanted to get moving. I sat in that bed so long I just couldn’t take it anymore,” she said.

New father Keith picked out Bailey’s name, Cindy Kok said.

“He has always liked the name since he was younger,” she said.

Bailey has been home for a week now and his siblings can’t get enough of having a new baby in the house.

“We’re spoiled to have so many good helpers,” Kok said.

“We’ve had to set a timer because they all want to hold the baby,” she said.