Garage destroyed by Baldwin fire

Jeffrey Hage / Union-Eagle An early morning fire on Wednesday, July 10 destroyed this garage at 12744 299th Ave. NW
Jeffrey Hage / Union-Eagle
An early morning fire on Wednesday, July 10 destroyed this garage at 12744 299th Ave. NW

A family of eight is safe after a devastating fire swept through the family’s garage in the early morning hours of Wednesday, July 10.
Northeast Sherburne Fire Department crews were called to the Daniel Sisco residence, 12744 299th Ave. NW in Baldwin Township shortly before 2:45 a.m. on July 10. The residence, on the corner of 299th Avenue Northwest and County Road 45, is about a half mile from the Baldwin fire station.
A Sherburne County Deputy was the first on the scene after a 911 call came into the Sherburne County Communications Center from a resident of the house. Northeast Sherburne Fire Department Chief Mike Rademacher, who lives a short distance from the home, arrived on scene with the Fire Department’s crew a short time later.
“When I got here, the garage was fully engulfed,” Rademacher said. “It looked like the flames were starting to extend into the attic and roof of the house.”
The Zimmerman Fire Department was called out with Baldwin and they were soon on scene, as was the Princeton Fire Department, which was also called out for mutual aid. The garage and its contents were lost, including the Sisco’s two vehicles.
In addition to fighting the garage fire, Rademacher directed firefighters to the interior of the home and ventilated the roof.
“There was a lot of heat in the attic,” Rademacher noted.
The three fire departments worked hard and kept the fire from spreading beyond the attic of the house and causing extensive structure damage to the modular home that was connected to the home. A large fire wall between the garage and the house also did its part in keeping the fire from spreading to the house.
“It did what it was supposed to do,” Rademacher said. “Nothing in the house appeared to be lost.”
There was some water and smoke damage, however.
The Northeast Sherburne Fire Department’s relief association put the Siscos and their six children up in the AmericInn in Princeton for a couple days and provided them money for food and clothing.
“They were lucky to be in a location where three fire departments could be on the scene in 10-12 minutes,” Rademacher said.