Man charged with brutal assault, robbery

A Princeton man is accused of robbing and brutally beating a man in front of a Burnsville liquor store a on July 8, just hours after being kicked out of a chemical dependency program.

Steven Lee Dingman, 29, faces charges of aggravated robbery, third degree assault and making terroristic threats — all felonies — in connection with the July 8 incident.dingman

When Burnsville Police responded to the robbery call at about 9:30 p.m. on July 8, they found a man laying on the ground, bleeding from the face. The victim didn’t remember what had happened because he went unconscious after being hit in the face.

But the woman who called police and reported the incident saw what happened, according to a criminal complaint filed in Dakota County District Court.

The witness saw two men, later identified as Dingman and Matthew Maiers, 23 of Eagan,holding onto the victim, pushing him and knocking him around. The witness also saw Dingman and Maiers punching the man in the head and chest. They also pushed the man down and began striking the man. The witness told the men she was going to call police, but that didn’t stop them from continuing to beat victim. The witness called 911 because she was afraid and wasn’t sure if the victim was alive, the complaint states. The suspects eventually fled in separate directions.

While talking to police, the witness observed one of the suspects standing in a nearby parking structure. Police ran to the structure and made contact with the individual, who was identified as Maiers. Maiers told police that Dingman was also involved in the incident.

Maiers told police that he and Dingman had been kicked out of a substance abuse program earlier that day. They walked from the treatment to a light rail station. They later took a bus and ended up in Burnsville, the complaint states. While walking down a street in Burnsville, Maiers and Dingman met the beating victim, who invited them to a party.

Maiers told officers that the victim “copped an attitude.” Dingman allegedly pushed the victim to the ground and started punching him, Maiers stated. Maiers said he noticed that the victim went unconscious. The men took the victim’s wallet and ran from the scene.

While police interviewed Maiers, they noticed a man in the parking structure a few cars away from where they were talking with Maiers. The man identified himself as Dingman, the complaint states. Police found the victim’s wallet on Dingman, who told police that a backpack he took from the victim was in the nearby bushes.

Police presented Dingman to the witness in a one-on-one meeting called a “showup.” The witness identified Dingman as the second suspect in the beating, the complaint states.

Maiers, like Dingman, faces charges of aggravated robbery and third degree assault. They face a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison and/or a $35,000 fine on the robbery charge and five years in prison and/or a $10,000 fine on the assault charge.

Dingman also faces charges of making terrorist threats because police stated in their report that Dingman allegedly flipped the witness off, threatened her, and told her he would find her and cause her harm. He also threatened to “kick her (expletive),” the complaint states. The witness stated she was concerned by Dingman’s comments and felted threatened by them.

Dingman faces a maximum penalty of  five years in prison and/or a $10,000 fine if convicted of the terrorist threats charge.